1/4 cup sultanas
15 ml brandy
2 medium croissants * store bought
150 ml thickened cream
150 ml milk
1/4 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored, halved, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Icing sugar for dusting
- Combine sultanas and warmed brandy in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place apple slices, brown sugar, cinnamon and a small squeeze of lemon juice in a small bowl, mix through and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine milk, cream and vanilla bean, bring to the boil and remove from heat and discard vanilla bean.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs and maple syrup together, then slowly pour in milk mixture, mixing to combine.
- Place some croissant pieces in the bases of 2 souffle ramekins (10 x 7 cm) or at least 250 ml capacity. Lay some apple slices in each and scatter some sultanas. Repeat this step using croissant, apple, and sultanas. Leave half croissant for the top.
- Carefully pour custard over the puddings slowly, top with remaining croissant pieces, apple and sultanas and place ramekins on a tray. Let puddings rest for at least 1 hour to soak up the egg mixture before baking.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°C) fan forced. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until custard is just set and tops are golden. (Place foil over the top loosely if tops brown too quickly).
Dust with icing sugar and garnish with mint. Serve cream, custard or ice cream with this dessert if desired.