100g plain flour
3 tablespoon pure icing sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
50g butter, chopped
1 egg yolk
Vanilla ice-cream (store-bought)
Mint for garnish
5 fresh dates, chopped
30ml Marsala or brandy*
60ml double cream
¼ cup walnuts, roasted, finely chopped
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 egg yolk
Serves 2 (This recipe can be prepared the day before).
- For the pastry: place flour, icing sugar and cocoa in a food processor and blitz until combined. Add butter and blitz until mixture resembles fine crumbs, then add egg yolk and mix until pastry comes together, shape into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface to 3mm thick. Line 2 x 10cm fluted loose base mini tart and trim edges, place in the fridge for another hour. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Blind bake tart tins for 3-5 minutes remove paper and weights and bake for a further 5 minutes or until pastry is dry. Remove from the oven & cool.
- Place walnuts on a baking tray and roast for 5 minutes or until golden, remove from oven and cool.
- Soak dates in Marsala for 30 minutes.
- Whisk cream, walnuts, sugar and egg in a bowl until combined. Fold in drained dates then pour mixture into the tart cases. Bake in the oven at 150°C (300°F) for 12-15 minutes or until just set. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool until ready to serve. If preparing the tarts the day before, place in an airtight container and store in the fridge. Remove tarts from the fridge 3 hours before serving to reach room temperature.
Place tarts on 2 serving plates and place a scoop of ice-cream on top and garnish with mint leaves.
* Marsala (Boronia all ‘uovo) can be found at most liquor stores.