2 duck breasts
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & cracked pepper
2 baby bok choy, halved
1/2 quince, peeled, cored, quartered
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 med oval potatoes, peeled, cut in half lengthways
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cups chicken stock
Sprigs of thyme
4 baby carrots, peeled, tips cut
1 teaspoon honey
- For the quince puree, place quince pieces, butter and 1 cup water in a saucepan and cook until quinces are tender. Place in a food processor and puree until smooth, add cinnamon and pass through a fine sieve.
- For the fondant potatoes, pre-heat the oven to 200°C (390°F) fan-forced. Pat dry potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil and butter in an ovenproof pan over medium to high heat, add potatoes flat side down first and cook until they are golden, turn over and cook tops until golden. Carefully add chicken stock and bring to boil. Place potatoes and stock in a small baking dish if you are not using an ovenproof pan, add thyme sprigs and place in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes tender. Remove from oven and keep warm until ready to serve.
- Pat duck breasts dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Place duck breast, skin side down in a cold pan (no oil) over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, (this will render the fat on the duck breast). Turn duck over to seal the other side 2-3 minutes then place on baking tray and cook for about 8-10 minutes 180°C (350°F) or cooked to your liking, (the breast should be just bouncy to touch). Remove from the oven and rest the duck 5-6 minutes to retain the juices
- For the carrots, in a small saucepan bring water to the boil, add carrots and a little salt and cook until carrots are tender. Drain, then add honey and butter and toss lightly.
- Steam bok choy just before serving.
Using 2 warm serving plates, place two half potatoes in the middle on either side of each plate. Lay 2 halves of bok choy in the middle. Slice duck on an angle down the middle and arrange the duck breast in the centre with one piece resting on the bok choy and the other piece near this. Place 2 carrots near the duck and pipe or spoon quince puree in 3 areas on the plate and garnish with tarragon.