2 duck breasts, skin on
Sea salt & cracked pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 bunch broccolini
¼ cup hazelnuts
Parsley for garnish
1 orange, zest & juiced
1 teaspoon honey + extra for glaze
2 teaspoon ginger, crushed
1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
¼ cup verjuice* or white wine
250g celeriac (celery root), peeled, diced
3 thyme sprigs
1/3 cup cream
30g butter, melted
4 Dutch carrots, cleaned
¼ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon honey
- Place the duck breasts and all the marinade ingredients in a ceramic dish, add two tablespoons olive oil, stir to combine and cover with plastic wrap, marinade for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For the celeriac (celery root) puree: Place celeriac and thyme in a saucepan and cover with salted cold water and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and cook until tender, drain liquid and reserve and remove thyme sprigs and cool slightly. Place celeriac in a food processor add cream and butter and puree until smooth, add extra reserved liquid gradually to reach a creamy consistency. Strain through a fine sieve and season to taste. Reheat just before serving.
- For the roast carrots: Place carrots, cumin, honey and two tablespoon olive oil in a bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and place on a baking tray and roast at 180°C (350°F) for about 10-15 minutes or until caramelised and tender
- Place hazelnuts on an oven tray and roast for 6-8 minutes, or until lightly coloured and skins are blistered. Wrap nuts in a kitchen towel and let steam about 1 minute. Rub nuts in towel to remove loose skins and cool completely. Place in a food processor and blitz until nuts resemble a rough crumb.
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Remove duck breasts from the marinade (reserve the marinade for jus), pat dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Place duck breast, skin side down in a cold non-stick pan (no oil) over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, (this will render the fat on the duck breast). Then turn the duck over to seal the other side 2-3 minutes, place on baking tray and cook for about 8-10 minutes or cook to your liking, (the breast should be bouncy to touch). Remove from the oven and rest the duck 5-6 minutes to retain the juices.
- For the orange honey glaze: Using the same roasting pan, remove fat and add reserved marinade, scrape the sediment from the bottom of the pan, add one teaspoon honey and reduce until it is syrupy. Season to taste and strain through a fine sieve before serving.
- Steam broccolini until just tender.
Using two warm serving plates, slice each duck breast in half length ways and arrange in the centre of each plate. Place two carrots on either side of the duck and arrange three pieces of broccolini on top. Pipe or spoon celeriac puree in three areas around the duck (using the photo for direction). Drizzle over the glaze, scatter hazelnuts around the duck and garnish with parsley and serve.
*Verjuice can be found in most supermarkets and gourmet food stores. You can substitute with white wine if unable to find.