Buying a whole salmon or any whole fish is the perfect way to feed a large group of people at once and a great way to save money if you plan to eat it regularly.
Below is a video with Jamie Oliver showing you step by step how to fillet a whole salmon.
Simple methods to cut different portions for any occasion. Take your time to learn this technique, you will remember it forever, give it a go!
What To Look For When Buying And Storing Fish
1. Only buy fish from a reputable store or fishmonger.
2. For the best flavor and texture, buy fresh wild salmon the same day you are going to cook it.
3. For whole salmon, look for firm shiny flesh. The eyes should be clear and moist, no cloudiness and not sunken or red. The gills should be bright pink or red, not slimy or dry.
4. For fillets and steaks, look for moist flesh without change of color or bruising. Also make sure the flesh has no gaps or gaping.
5. Only buy salmon or any fresh seafood that is displayed on mounds of ice at all fish counters.
1. Before refrigerating fish, wash it under cold water and dry with paper towels. Cover with a damp cloth, then wrap the fish in plastic wrap. If you can’t cook fresh salmon right away, keep it in the coldest part of the refrigerator for no more than 2 days.
2. Always defrost frozen fish overnight in the refrigerator.