Ingredients (serves 2)
4 baby squid (about 10cm long), cleaned, cut into 5cm pieces
1 lemon, juiced + zest
1 garlic clove
1 small red chilli, chopped
1/3 cup parsley
Extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and cracked pepper
3 new baby potatoes, (1cm slices)
10 cherry tomatoes, some cut in half
½ small red onion, sliced
Capsicum Chilli Relish
3 tablespoon olive oil
½ red onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red capsicum, chopped
2 long red chillies
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup caster sugar
1 tablespoon verjuice*
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, capsicums, chilli and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add vinegar and sugar and bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, occasionally stirring for 20-30 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and cool slightly before blitzing in a food processor, add two tablespoons olive oil and verjuice, blitz again and season to taste. Pour into a jar and chill in the fridge if preparing the day before.
- Prepare squid, refer to the video on my website under “blog”.
- Add lemon zest, parsley, garlic, and chilli in a food processor and blitz. Add 50ml olive oil and lemon juice and blitz Pour over squid, season with salt and marinate for 2 hours, covered and chill.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place potato slices in a bowl, drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt and pepper and toss. Place on a tray lined with baking paper and cook potatoes until tender and golden 20- 25 minutes. Five minutes before the potatoes are ready, add tomatoes in a bowl, add a little oil, season and place on tray with potatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside ready to serve.
- Pre-heat barbecue or pan and add squid and cook for 30 seconds, turn and cook for another 1 minute or until they curl and are opaque, (don’t over-cook the squid, as it will be tough if it is over-cooked), place squid in a bowl with cooking juices, ready to serve.
Place a spoonful of relish in the middle of each plate, arrange three potato slices on top and then a small handful of rocket. Add some red onion slices, then arrange layers of squid, remaining potato and tomatoes. Drizzle over juices and garnish with parsley and more rocket, if needed and serve.
*Capsicum chilli relish can be made the day before, and the relish will last in a sealed jar for up to 2 weeks. Verjuice can be found in most supermarkets and gourmet food stores, you can leave it out if hard to find.