Ingredients (Serves 2)
300 – 350gm pork belly*
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 garlic clove
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt & cracked pepper
Red Wine Caramel
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
80ml chicken stock
½ lime, juiced
¼ cup mint leaves
½ cup coriander (cilantro), torn
¼ cup shallots (scallions), thinly sliced, diagonally
1 red chilli, (1/2 finely diced, 1/2 finely sliced
- Remove pork from the fridge 1 hour before cooking. Pat dry the pork belly with a paper towel to remove all moisture from the skin. Score pork skin with a sharp knife at ¼ inch intervals (be careful not to cut through to the meat).
- Using a mortar and pestle, crush the fennel seeds and garlic, and one tablespoon sea salt and grind. Rub oil all over the pork then rub in spice mix making sure it gets into the scores.
- Prepare Asian salad ingredients as above, place in a bowl and store in the fridge until required.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°C (425°F). Place pork belly in a roasting pan and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the skin starts to bubble and turns golden. Then, reduce oven to 160°C (325°F) for about 30 minutes or pending the size of the pork belly – the pork is cooked when juices run clear, (or check meat thermometer (71°C, 160°F). Remove from oven and let the pork rest for 5 minutes uncovered. When ready to serve, turn the pork over so the crispy skin is on the chopping board and cut four
- For the red wine caramel, place the brown sugar, red wine vinegar in a saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the mixture has reduced by half. Add the lime juice and continue to reduce for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is syrupy. Allow caramel to cool slightly before serving.
On two serving plates arrange two pieces of pork belly in the center of the plate on an angle. Place Asian salad over the center of the pork, scatter over chillies and drizzle caramel over the pork and serve.
When choosing your pork belly, look for really white skin, and even thickness of meat.