Ingredients (serves 2)
¾ cup plain biscuit crumbs (milk arrowroot)*
60g butter, melted
125g cream cheese, softened
45ml condensed milk
1 egg yolk
½ teaspoon lemon zest
25ml lemon juice
1 egg white, room temperature
½ cup caster sugar
Pinch cream of tartar
- Place the biscuits in a food processor and blitz until finely crushed. Stir in melted butter and mix until combined. Press biscuit crumb firmly into the base and sides of 2 x 10cm fluted loose base tart tins and place in the fridge to chill.
- Using an electric mixer, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk and beat until smooth. Add the egg yolk, lemon zest, and lemon juice and beat until combined. Pour the filling into the biscuit base and place in the fridge for 4 hours to chill or overnight.
- To make the meringue, place ¼ cup sugar, 30ml water and pinch cream of tartar in a saucepan over medium-high heat and boil for 3 minutes.
- While the sugar syrup is boiling, place the egg white into a bowl and using an electric mixer beat until soft peaks form, add remaining ¼ cup sugar gradually and beat until smooth and glossy.
- Gradually pour the sugar syrup in a thin steady stream into the egg white and beat for 3-4 minutes or until the meringue is cool and spoon the meringue on top of the cheesecakes.
- You can use a blowtorch to lightly caramelize the meringue, or place the cheesecakes under a hot grill for 30 seconds to caramelize; chill cheesecakes before serving if desired.
You can use any plain biscuits for this recipe.