Ingredients (serves 2)
30g butter + extra for greasing
30g plain flour
½ cup (125ml) milk
30g feta, crumbled
60g smoked salmon (40g finely chopped + (1 slice) for garnish)
1 teaspoon dill, chopped + 2 fronds for garnish
2 eggs, separated
½ teaspoon lemon zest, grated
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup (125ml) thickened cream
Sea salt & cracked pepper
1 lemon, sliced
60g baby rocket
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Melt butter in a saucepan add flour, stir continuously for about 1 minute. Whisk in milk until you have a smooth sauce and cook 1-2 minutes whisking continuously until thickened. Remove from heat and add feta, dill, Dijon mustard, egg yolks and lemon zest, mix well to combine, then add 40g smoked salmon and season with pepper.
- In a small bowl whisk egg whites to soft peaks. Gently fold egg whites into salmon mixture.
- Grease 2 x (2.5 inches x 3.5 inches) ramekins with extra butter and pour mixture in, place ramekins in a baking dish with enough boiling water to come 2/3 way up the sides of ramekins.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce to 140°C (280°F) for another 10 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove from oven, cool. Once cool, run a palette knife around the ramekin and invert the soufflés onto a plastic wrapped flat plate, place in refrigerator overnight or set aside until 20 minutes before serving.
- In an ovenproof dish place half of the cream in the base and place soufflés on top, pour over remaining cream. Bake in the oven at 220°C (425°F) for about 12-15 minutes or until risen and golden. Remove from oven ready to serve.
On 2 serving plates, place soufflés in the center and top with a ½ slice of salmon on each one and garnish with dill. Arrange rocket around the soufflés, garnish with 2 lemon slices on each plate and serve.
This recipe can be made the day before up to step 5.